Monday, November 12, 2012

On Writing and NaNoWriMo

I am participating in NaNoWriMo, or National Novel Writer's Month. The challenge, for those who don't know, is to write 50000 words, or roughly half a fantasy novel, in a month. This is extremely difficult and not many people actually succeed in it. I, however, am ahead at the moment. I've written about 22000 words so far, and hope to write more before bed tonight. That translated to about 91 pages, with the way I have my computer document formatted.

Anyway, I've had people ask if I'm participating in NaNo this year. I say yes, but with the caveat that I plan to complete it and complete the novel. I've seen friends who use NaNo as an opportunity just to write something they now will never be published simply for the sake of writing it. Others use it to write fanfiction, or get their asses in gear. So I've always found that saying you're 'participating in NaNo' is a bit inaccurate. I want to publish someday, and I put all my effort into my stories. The stereotype of NaNo novels is that they are all terrible, unedited pieces of trash. But guess what? They are also first drafts, so of course they're terrible. I have never come across a first draft of any novel that's written well. And that includes what I write.

Writing for fun is different than writing to be published. The difference is, with the first when you're done your done. With the second, you are never done. A manuscript is never finished until it's in print. Even as an unpublished author, I understand this. And even then, you find typos, like the one's I've found in Harry Potter books. They are few and far between, but that's the way it is. Nothing's perfect. And a first draft, like a NaNo story, is no exception.

Your first draft and your NaNoWriMo story are terrible pieces of trash. Deal with it, and edit the thing into awesomeness.

Resident of the Evil,
Scarlet

No comments:

Post a Comment